VCU Health is proud of its mission to provide quality care to all who need it. If you do not have health insurance and worry that you may not be able to pay in full for your care, we may be able to help. It is important that you let us know if you will have trouble paying your bill.
We provide financial assistance to patients based on their income, assets and needs. In addition, we may be able to help you get free or low-cost health insurance, or work with you to arrange a manageable payment plan.
Financial counselors can you help you to understand your hospital bill, apply for health coverage, renew your health coverage and update your insurance information.
Financial Assistance programs include:
- Discounts for self-pay patients are available with additional discounts for prompt payments
- State-Sponsored Indigent Care Program provides free care to patients with income below the Federal Poverty Level and a slide scale discount for patients with incomes less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
- Medicaid and FAMIS programs, which are state insurance programs that assist with payments for medical care if an individual meets certain criteria
Documents that may be required:
- Paycheck receipts (your last three pay stubs)
- Child support verification
- Unemployment verification
- Social Security income verification
- Current bank statement
To be considered for financial assistance, please download and complete the forms, and mail them to:
VCU Health Financial Counseling
Richmond, Virginia 23286-0441
Or you can fax your completed paperwork to (804) 828-2029.
For more information, call our Financial Counseling Call Center at (804) 828-0966, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can speak to one of our financial counselors from the convenience and privacy of your home. Trained certified application counselors are also available to assist you with enrolling in the Health Insurance Marketplace.
We will treat your questions with confidentiality and courtesy.