College Student Volunteer Program
At the beginning of each semester (Fall, Spring, and Summer) we welcome students from various colleges and universities. Undergraduate, graduate, or non-traditional students can become involved in many ways at VCU Health. To successfully apply to volunteer, you must begin working on the requirements before the semester begins. We expect a weekly commitment of at least two consecutive hours (excluding official university breaks and holidays) for the entire semester—this is approximately 20 hours of service. We encourage volunteers to participate for multiple semesters. Letters of reference will only be provided to volunteers who have served 40 hours or more (a record of hours can be provided at any time).
Before continuing, make sure you understand:
- Health screening, registration, and orientation are all required to participate
- You must have a Social Security Number in order to volunteer
- You must have a valid, government-issued ID, such as Driver’s License or Passport
- Spring volunteering will take place through 4/28/2019
Additionally, we ask that you take a few minutes to review our self-assessment to ensure this program is right for you.
The steps to become a volunteer for the Spring 2019 semester:
Have you ever volunteered with VCU Health before?
Click here to choose a registration time for returning volunteers; walk in registration will not be permitted. If you have not volunteered in the past 12 months, you may need to apply as a new volunteer. Contact Volunteer Services for individual instructions.
New to volunteering with VCU Health?
All interested students must submit COMPLETED application AND health screening documents to Volunteer Services no later than 4:00pm on Thursday, January 10, 2019. Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered. There are no exceptions.
-Application: The application must be completed and submitted using the link at the bottom of this page.
-Health Screening: Complete and submit all health screening requirements listed on the Health Screening Form at the bottom of this page.
- Look carefully at the dates on the form to make sure your records are/will be completed within the correct timeframe.
- We do not have access to health records from VCU Student Health or VCU Health clinics due to privacy regulations.
- Submit all documentation as scanned pdf files by email or by fax (emailed pdf files are preferred). Pictures of files taken from a mobile device will not be accepted.
- If having documents faxed, please email us so we can confirm whether or not they were received.
- We recommend that you retain copies of your health records as VCU Health will not retain copies.
-Orientation and Registration: If your complete health screening materials are received by the deadline, you will receive instructions to complete online orientation and to sign up for an appointment for registration. Registration is a short in-person meeting during which we will help you choose a volunteer opportunity and schedule for the semester; time slots will be available between 9am and 4pm, January 14-18. Opportunities are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. A list of possible assignments can be reviewed in advance; actual availability is subject to change and detailed descriptions will be provided at your appointment.
If you believe your materials are complete and you do not receive further instructions, contact us BEFORE THE DEADLINE to check your status.
Ready to apply?
Click here to fill out the application; must be submitted by January 10 at 4pm
Click here to download the Health Screening Form; complete documentation must be received by January 10 at 4pm
If you have any questions, contact Volunteer Services at 804.828.0922 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Returning/Continuing Volunteers: If you were instructed by Volunteer Services to complete any of the following, use the links below:
Annual Education: do so by reviewing the annual education information and completing the quiz and acknowledgment
Code of Conduct: do so by reviewing the Code of Conduct and completing the Code of Conduct Acknowledgment
Registration Appointment: do so at this SignUpGenius page