Who We Are
Inventing better care, day by day by discovery
Sound outrageous? It absolutely is. Sound impossible? That’s never stopped us before. Sound like hard work, intense research, collaboration with experts around the world, sheer brainpower meets unrelenting willpower? That’s. Exactly. Right.
We’ll do whatever it takes to offer the best in care and empower the best in quality of life. And it’s an approach that works — whether it’s a patient who undergoes a new, life-saving procedure or a clinical researcher who finds promise in a new cancer treatment, exciting new medicine is happening at VCU Health.
We have it all:
- Five schools
- An academic medical center
- A Level I trauma center
- One of only two NCI-designated cancer centers in Virginia
- The region’s only full-service children’s hospital
- More than 750 physicians in 200 specialties
- With a community health center, dedicated research teams, facilities and valued partners in every field
Our medical teams are top notch. And we’re not too shy to boast of internationally known physicians, some recognized as the best in the country, top-ranked local specialists and all-around all-stars at every level. Together through our VCU Medical Center, Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU and VCU Community Memorial Hospital in South Hill we:
- Served almost 112,000 people in our emergency departments
- Admitted nearly 50,000 to our inpatient and observation beds
- Took care of more than 640,000 in our outpatient clinics
- Advanced the learning of more than 5,000 health science students across all disciplines
And here are just a few of our most recent accomplishments:
- VCU Medical Center earned special recognition from The Joint Commission as a 2015 Top Performing Hospital on quality measures
- Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU was named Virginia’s first Level I pediatric trauma center by The American College of Surgeons
- VCU Community Memorial Hospital was awarded the Silver Plus Quality Achievement Award by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines-Stroke® program
- Virginia Premier Health Plan’s Medicaid plan is accredited by the National Committee of Quality Assurance, a private, non-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality
- VCU Medical Center received the 2014 AHA-McKesson Quest for Quality Prize, a distinction that goes to one standout U.S. hospital annually for leadership and innovation in quality improvement and safety
From our very first years to our most recent advancements, we are driven to learn more, dig deeper, teach passionately and never rest in order to be a true leader in discovering what’s possible in health and recovery.
We are a comprehensive system of care and a pioneer of health.
By the Numbers
Take a look at some of the facts and figures that sum up 2016 for us.
|Emergency Department Visits
|Outpatient Clinic Visits
|Virginia Premier Health Plan Member Months