Spinal Cord Medicine
The department provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient spinal cord injury rehabilitation and care at VCU Health and the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center. We strive to maximize the quality of life of persons with SCI and disorders through the use of rehabilitation services. Our programs emphasize the enhancement of quality of life by improving functional independence, increasing participation in social activities, preventing further injury and by education in health maintenance.
SCI rehabilitation is an intensive interdisciplinary program utilizing the expertise of SCI-trained physicians, physical therapists, occupational therapists, recreation therapists, speech and language pathologists, social workers, rehabilitation psychologists, rehabilitation nursing, wound care specialists, and dieticians along with a comprehensive group of consultants.
- Medical management of persons with SCI
- Mobility and self-care retraining
- Individualized therapy programs
- Psychological services for adjustment
- VCU Health
- Outpatient care – Ambulatory Care Center – (804) 828-4097
- Inpatient care – North Hospital – (804) 828-0861
- Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center
- Outpatient care – Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders Service – (804) 675-5128
- Inpatient care – Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders Outpatient Clinic – (804) 675-5000 ext. 3380 or ext. 3389
The Gerry Bertier #42 Foundation
The Gerry Bertier #42 Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that supports the VCU Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation and Research Center. The foundation’s goal is to raise awareness and support for SCI patients, therapists and doctors at VCU with a commitment to improve hope, function and quality of life.