Brain Injury Medicine
The department provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient brain injury rehabilitation and care at VCU Health and the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center. We strive to maximize the quality of life of persons with brain injury through the use of rehabilitation services. Our programs emphasize the enhancement of quality of life by improving functional independence, increasing participation in social activities, preventing further injury and providing education in health maintenance.
VCU’s Brain Injury Program and Richmond VAMC’s Polytrauma Program provide care in a self-contained unit which treats both adult and adolescent patients with traumatic brain injuries stemming from accidents such as falls, gunshot wounds, assaults or car accidents through the Wound Care Center. Our highly specialized staff also treats those with non-traumatic injuries from causes such as aneurysms, hemorrhages or brain tumors. Both brain injury programs are proud be a federally designated Model System of Care for persons with brain injuries. Our Brain Injury Rehab Program is an intensive program focused on functional assessment, therapeutic intervention, community reintegration and long-term clinical follow-up.
Information about VCU’s TBI Model System
- Medical management of persons with brain injury
- Mobility and self-care retraining
- Cognitive therapies
- Psychological services for adjustment
- VCU Health
- Outpatient Care – Ambulatory Care Center – (804) 828-4097
- Inpatient Care – North Hospital – (804) 828-0861
- Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center
- Outpatient care – Polytrauma Network Site – (804) 675-5576
- Inpatient care – Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center – (804) 675-6548