Cleaning and disinfecting our facilities: We go the extra mile to ensure your safety
May 14, 2020
As we prepare for more patients to return to VCU Health for in-person appointments, we have increased our cleaning and disinfecting measures to make sure our hospitals and clinics are a safe environment for your care.
“We have over 200 team members working across three shifts to ensure your safety,” said Ronald Smitherman, senior director of environmental services at VCU Health System, who manages housekeeping efforts at VCU Health.
Our cleaning and disinfecting efforts include:
- We have increased the number of housekeeping staff working in our hospitals and clinics.
- We are cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces in public areas, such as entrances and waiting rooms, more frequently. This includes doorknobs, elevator buttons, light switches, hand sanitizer dispensers, faucets, handrails and sinks.
- Our patient transport team is cleaning wheelchairs before and after each use.
- In addition to deep cleaning each patient and exam room, we use high-powered ultraviolet light to sterilize all surfaces in the room safely and effectively.
- We have installed plexiglass partitions at registration desks in our hospitals and clinics.
Learn more about the steps we’ve taken to provide a safe environment during COVID-19.