The Center for Disease Control, in Atlanta, estimates that 40 - 60% of Surgical Site Infections are are preventable.
- To minimize infections, most patients will be given doses of antibiotics in the Operating Room.
- Inform us of any allergies, so we can make the appropriate choice of antibiotic.
Decolonization Kits and instructions will be supplied for:
- Neuro - Head and Spine surgeries
- Cardiac - CABG and Valve surgeries
- Ortho - Joint replacements
- ENT - All neck dissections
- Gastro-intestinal - Colon surgeries
The kit contains nasal cream, mouth gargle and body soap. All items should be used in the 5 days before surgery, and for the last time on the day of surgery.