The division serves as a core training site for M-II through M-IV medical students,psychiatry residents, nursing students and graduate/post graduate trainees in social work and pharmacy. About 50 M-III students rotate through the inpatient psychiatry units at VCU Medical Center
Each team operates with a physician-directed team involving psychiatric nurses, nurse practitioners, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, consultants and resources appropriate for working with their specific patient population. In 2013, the team was presented a Beacon Award for Excellence, the first Psychiatry unit in the nation to receive the prestigious recognition.
Typical services include:
- Psychological, neuropsychological and psychosocial evaluations
- Conventional pharmacotherapy and complex psychopharmacology
- Computer Tomographic and Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Individual, marital, family and group psychotherapy
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Occupational therapy and therapeutic recreation
- Behavior therapy
- Nutrition assessments
Other services and consultations are obtained as needed for individual patient needs.