What Will Happen at the PACE Visit?
You will see a Nurse and a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant or Physician Anesthesiologist, who will update your Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
This includes information on:
- your general health and fitness
- serious illnesses
- family history of major health issues or problems with anesthesia
- vital signs
You should bring results of any recent blood tests or heart studies or other investigations, completed outside VCU Health.
SOME PATIENTS may need additional tests. (For example):
- Blood tests (blood count, coagulation studies, blood type and screening blood chemistries)
- A urine test (to exclude infections, which may need treated before surgery)
- Nose swabs taken for MRSA (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus), a type of bacteria which can cause troublesome wound infections.
- An electrocardiogram (ECG) to record the rate, rhythm and electrical activity of your heart. You will need to partially undress for this, loosening your shirt or blouse.
The results of these tests will be available on the My VCU Health portal.
Dr Alex. D. Colquhoun
Associate Professor Anesthesiology