Deep Brain Stimulation Program
Deep brain stimulation (DBS) related services and continuing care are offered at the VCU Parkinson's and Movement Disorders Center through VCU's Functional neurosurgery program. Dr. Kathryn Holloway and her team provide evaluation for deep brain stimulation (DBS) and DBS surgery with or without post-operative follow-up care and programming.
DBS surgery is performed for the treatment of the following conditions:
Dr. Kathryn Holloway, Program Director, is an experienced neurosurgeon with expertise in movement disorders. She has completed over 300 deep brain stimulation surgeries, and performs 50 surgeries per year. Dr. Holloway was part of the team that developed and researched the frameless DBS technology.
Our Care Team
Our interdisciplinary care team includes:
- Neurologist - evaluation of diagnosis, stage of disease
- Neuropsychologist – assessment of cognitive functioning to rule out significant dementia
- Neurosurgeon - reviews surgery process and procedures, evaluation of patient's general health, performs surgery
- Nursing - Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) programming and care coordination
The evaluation process begins with an informational appointment, followed by evaluation, surgery and post-operative care.
- At this first appointment, the nurse and neurosurgeon will review DBS with the patient. Those interested in learning more should review the appropriate information:
- If the patient decides to move forward with DBS surgery, a series of evaluations will be scheduled. Learn more.
- The patient will be scheduled for surgery if the evaluations and neurosurgeon feel it is appropriate. Learn more.
- Following DBS surgery the team will monitor the patient closely. Learn more about post-operative care.
Make an Appointment
Please call (804) 360-4NOW (4669) to schedule an appointment.