VCU Health eases restrictions on inpatient visitation
June 18, 2020
One adult visitor will be allowed per day
Starting Monday, June 22, we are resuming limited visitation for hospitalized non-COVID-19 patients, allowing one adult visitor per day, with some restrictions. Our patient care philosophy depends greatly on engaging family and friends to be part of the healing process. We have adopted safety practices that limit the risk of COVID-19 while allowing visitors back.
Visitors will be required to wear a face mask and visitor badge at all times while on our premises and will need to follow specified visitation hours.
Highlights of the new visitation policy include:
- One adult visitor per day, 18 years or older, permitted per patient after being screened and receiving a face mask.
- Inpatient visitation limited to 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Visitors must stay in the patient room for the duration of the visit and wear a face mask at all times.
- Visitors are required to wear a visitor badge, provided by the information desk, at all times while on site.
- Entry points for inpatient visitors will be limited to Gateway and Critical Care Hospital entrances. Please bring an I.D.
Exceptions to this policy remain the same:
- For patients in the Labor and Delivery and Mother Infant units: One adult visitor, 18 years or older, permitted per patient. No other restrictions.
- For pediatric patients in all units: One adult visitor, 18 years or older, permitted per patient per day. No other restrictions.
- For non-COVID-19 patients who are at the end of life: The number of visitors is determined by the patient's care team.
- Children under age 18 are permitted to visit a parent or primary caregiver.
- Children must screen negative for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Children 3 years or older must wear a face mask.
- COVID-19 positive patients at the end of life are allowed one adult visitor, 18 years of age or older. No other restrictions are in place.
Our visitation policy is evolving as conditions change
For the latest information on our visitation policy for both inpatients and outpatients, as well as Emergency Room visits during the pandemic, please see “Changes to visitor policy and valet parking.” Please check that page before each visit.