How We Help
If you are a health care provider, CHEC helps you help your patients.
Health care providers may call CHEC at (804) 828-2432 to see what information we have to serve your patients. We will compile a packet of information for pick-up by providers, patients or their family members. We will also:
- Mail information to patients
- Deliver information to patients’ hospital rooms if we have volunteers free;
- Provide referral coupons and other CHEC hand-outs for use in your office or practice.
CHEC invites VCU health care professionals to refer patients and families as part of your patient education practice. CHEC receives many walk-ins who are seeking information about a procedure or a diagnosis. The center can be particularly helpful to patients managing chronic conditions and who make repeat visits for check-ups and consultations. New materials are added regularly to the collection. We offer:
- Expertise. Librarian Dana Ladd is your partner in providing health information to your patients. She welcomes invitations to speak to medical practices and to medical, nursing and pharmacy students about how CHEC can augment and support your vital work in patient education efforts.
- Services for health care staff. The center helps VCUHS staff members keep up-to-date on new lay literature in health care fields. Stop by, browse the collection and introduce yourself to us.
- Patient education materials. The VCUHS Education and Professional Development Department houses materials in CHEC for use by health care professionals. Among the varied materials are “Speak Up” brochures, Lovenox kits and diabetes kits. For information about these patient education materials, contact Sharon Everette at (804) 628-0025.
- Services for patients and patrons. See our list of services.
- Inpatient services. CarePages is a free online tool that gives hospital patients and families a way to provide updates about the patient, share photos and receive messages of support. We’ll help families set up a CarePage.
- An oasis for caregivers. For people assisting or visiting inpatients, the center offers a place for quiet reflection and a place to check email, make a private phone call, attend to personal concerns or enjoy a brief respite from the bedside.
- Referral coupons. We provide fill-in-the-blank coupons so health practitioners can specify information they would like their patients to see. Patients present the coupon to us and we’ll help them find what they need.
- Posters and handouts. If you want materials about CHEC for display in your clinics or offices or to share with the greater Richmond community, just ask.
“It is reassuring to know you can get more information in a pleasant/helpful environment.”