VCU Health Nursing
Deborah Zimmermann, DNP, RN, NEA-BC
Chief Nursing Officer
and Vice President of
Patient Care Services
The mission of nursing at VCU Health is to provide high-quality, compassionate and individualized nursing care for all our patients and their families. Nursing, in cooperation with interdisciplinary colleagues and in congruence with the medical center's mission, vision and values, is committed to:
- Assisting patients and their families in becoming fully informed about their care and involved in the planning and delivery of that care
- Providing educational opportunities in clinical nursing and professional development of nurses
- Fostering innovative, evidence-based nursing practice
- Partnering with colleagues in the VCU School of Nursing to promote the advancement of nursing practice and educating the health care professionals of tomorrow
- Serving as nursing leaders within the community and the profession
In recognition of the standards of a healthy work environment, the American Nurses Association (ANA) Scope and Standards of Practice and as a Magnet-recognized organization, nursing leaders focus their efforts and energies to create an environment where nurses can practice nursing according to the values of the profession and the organization and make their optimal contribution to patient care. Deborah Zimmermann, DNP, RN, NEA-BC
Chief nursing officer
and vice president of
Patient Care Services
Congruent with the vision of VCU Health, our vision is to be nationally recognized in creating a thriving culture that exemplifies caring, knowledge and leadership in the practice of nursing in the safest health care organization in the U.S.
This vision reflects an overall organizational commitment to both patients and staff. Our mission and vision demonstrates a commitment to providing high-quality, compassionate, individualized and innovative care for all patients and their families with a shared dedication to education and research.
We also share the same values of VCU Health:
- Service - We will conduct customer interaction with a caring attitude, honesty and respect, putting our customer's needs first to yield exceptional customer service.
- Trust - Through our integrity, respect of individual and diversity, and commitment to privacy and safety, we achieve trust from those we serve and from those with whom we work.
- Attitude - In the pursuit of excellence, we display kindness, concern, compassion and appropriate charity to those in our care.
- Respect - We respect the dignity of each individual and the collective diversity of the communities we serve.
These values, in conjunction with our mission and vision, serve as the foundation for quality initiatives and the strategic plan.