Health and Life Care
When Elyse Harris moved to Richmond from New York City in October 2012, she was seeking a place to enhance the positive energy surrounding her. She knew she would be leaving her beloved city and her family -- including her spry octogenarian mother, Lou -- but she could not have known that VCUHS's Eldercare Resources would come in so handy, so quickly. "I never, ever imagined my mom getting to the point where she was demonstrating frailty," reflects Elyse. "But I get strength from knowing these resources are here to help me on this journey with her."
Full-time (35-40 hours per week) and part-time (20-34.9 hours per week) benefit eligible team members may choose to enroll in all of the VCUHS Employee Benefits Program options. Basic Life and AD&D Insurance and retirement benefits begin the first full pay period. Medical, dental, supplemental life insurance and disability benefits begin the first day of the month coinciding with or following your date of hire.
- VCUHS ChoiceCARE (PPO) Plan
- Receive care from any qualified physician at any time: primary care physician selection and specialist referrals are not required
- VCUHS Network: Inpatient and outpatient care at VCUHS is covered with lower copays.
- Second Network: Inpatient care is covered but at a higher out-of-pocket cost than at VCUHS.
- Third (out-of-network) Network: Available with deductible and higher coinsurance.
- Prescription drug coverage: Three-tier copayment structure. Lower copays when using VCUHS Pharmacies. Mail order and retail pharmacies available.
- Vision coverage: In-network and out-of-network. Annual exams and eyeglasses or allowance for contact lenses.
- Wellness and Preventive benefits
- Pre-natal Management Program
- Chronic Disease Management Program
VCUHS Direct Dental uses only the providers of the VCU School of Dentistry. You have a choice of 2 levels of providers: Advanced Education (graduate level residents) and the Dental Faculty Practice. The patient selects the level of provider, obtains the treatment, and pays the patient’s share of the costs based on the plan design. The VCU School of Dentistry will bill the Plan for the Plan’s share of the cost. Advantages of the VCUHS Direct Dental plan include:
- Allows the patient and the dentist to determine the appropriate treatment plan,
- Eliminates the need to have a treatment plan approved by an insurance company,
- Has no pre-existing condition limitation,
- Has no exclusions or exceptions to coverage,
- Eliminates the need to file claims
- Uses the VCU School of Dentistry as the exclusive provider network, you cannot use a community dentist under this plan.
- PPO network and out of network benefits available.
- Preventive care: covered in full when using in-network providers.
- Basic services (e.g., fillings, recementing of crowns): covered at 80% of reasonable and customary (R&C) charge, after deductible.
- Major services (e.g., bridges, crowns): covered at 50% of R&C charge, after deductible.
- Orthodontia: covered for adults and children, up to a lifetime maximum of $1,500 with no deductible.
HelpLink Employee Assistance Program
HelpLink Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is an team member benefit offered to team members and their household members. Confidential consultations (up to five visits per issue) with an internal or external EAP provider are available at no cost. Counselors help team members set and keep such goals as improving health and wellness, learning stress management skills, considering career options and managing work-life balance. HelpLink EAP providers also assist with other personal or job-related stressors including effective parenting and family coping skills, grief and loss, and achieving healthy marital/intimate relationships. Consultations with supervisors regarding difficult worksite situations are also offered.
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance: provided at no cost in the amount of 2 times base salary.
- Supplemental Life Insurance: purchase additional coverage for yourself, your spouse, and/or your children).
- Short Term Disability (optional): provides a benefit of 60% of base salary after 14 days of disability up to 11 weeks.
- Long Term Disability: Basic Long Term Disability (LTD): provides a benefit of 50% of base salary after 90 days of disability.
- Buy-up LTD coverage (optional): increase LTD to a benefit of 60% of base salary after 90 days of disability.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account: Pay for eligible dependent care expenses with tax-free dollars contributed to your Dependent Care FSA.
- Health Flexible Spending Account: Pay for eligible medical expenses with tax-free dollars contributed to your Health FSA.
VCUHS offers two retirement plans the VCUHS 401(a) Retirement Plan and the VCUHS 457(b) Savings Plan.
VCUHS 401(a) Retirement Plan
VCUHS will provide a defined contribution using a combination of the participant’s age and years of retirement plan participation applied to a grade scale. Contributions increase with age and years of service for benefit eligible part time and full time team members. House staff, Fellows and VRS Retirees are not eligible. You choose to invest this money with one of two investment companies. Each company offers a variety of investment funds from which you may choose. You are vested (entitled to 100% of your account's value) after three years of continuous participation.
VCUHS 457 (b) Savings Retirement Plan
Defer up to 85% of your base annual salary or the current annual maximum contribution limit (whichever is less) tax-deferred; money is taxed when you make withdrawals or elect Roth contributions that would not be taxed when you make withdrawals. You decide how much to contribute each pay period and how to invest this money with one of two investment companies. Each company offers a number of investment funds from which you may choose. VCUHS will match 100% of your deferral up to 2% of your base salary. Housestaff, Fellows and VRS Retirees are not eligible for the matching contribution.