History

History

The VCU Medical Center — then called the Medical College of Virginia — established one of the nation’s first programs in solid organ transplantation in 1956.

David Hume, M.D., a pioneer in transplantation surgery, performed Virginia’s first kidney transplant at MCV in 1957. Since those early days, the program has been known for its rich, innovative history and continued advances in transplantation.

A tradition of being first

As one of the oldest transplant centers in the country, the Hume-Lee Transplant Center has hosted many of the state’s first-ever transplantation procedures, including:

  • Virginia’s first human kidney transplant
  • Virginia’s first liver transplant
  • Virginia’s first “reduced-size” pediatric and adult orthotopic liver transplants
  • Virginia’s first “reduced-size” living related-donor orthotopic liver transplant
  • The first-ever “reduced-size” orthotopic liver transplant using a liver from an unrelated living donor

The transplant center also opened one of the first tissue-typing labs in the world, as well as established Virginia’s first vascular access program. Its clinical liver cell transplant program has achieved national and international recognition.

A bright future ahead

Under the current leadership of Marc P. Posner, M.D., professor and head, Division of Transplantation Surgery, the clinical transplant program at the Hume-Lee Transplant Center continues to be one of the leading transplant programs in the U.S., with survival rates that are among the best in the state and consistently above the national average.